Entry requirements

Once you have decided upon a course of study, you will need to know its entry requirements in order to submit the correct documentation with your application.

Entry requirements vary depending on factors such as study-level and subject. For example, a practice-based course will usually require you to submit a portfolio showing how your skills and ideas have developed over a period of time.

Other courses focusing on areas such as journalism, public relations or business-related courses will also require you to submit work. This may be examples of your original blog articles or essays that are relevant to your application.

Specific entry requirements can be found on your chosen course page in the ‘Entry Requirements’ section, but the following are common requirements for courses of all levels:

  • A High School Diploma (evidenced by current transcript)
  • A personal statement
  • A portfolio (or other examples of work)
  • An academic reference
  • A successful interview.
  • A High School Diploma
  • A Foundation Diploma in Art and Design (or relevant pre-degree qualification)
  • A personal statement
  • A portfolio (or other examples of work)
  • An academic reference
  • A successful interview.
  • An Undergraduate qualification in a relevant area
  • A personal statement
  • A portfolio (or other examples of work)
  • Two references (one must be academic)
  • A successful interview.

Some of our masters courses also require you to provide a study proposal or evidence of relevant work experience.

To learn more about what we look for in an MA application, come along to one of our MA seminars offered in various cities across Canada. Take a look at our UAL in Canada section to see if there are any seminars coming up near you.

What we ask for

More detail about the things you’ll encounter during the application process are below:

If you are applying to a course at any study level at UAL, you will need to submit an application form.

Application forms can be found in the ‘Entry Requirements’ section of each of our course pages. As you would expect, these forms are used to provide us with information about you, such as your personal details and academic history.

Our Canadian representatives can give you guidance on exactly how to complete your application form.

We will sometimes ask for a personal statement, which helps us understand you as an individual, and decide whether you’d be right for your chosen course.

Personal statements, usually a page long, are an opportunity for you to demonstrate why you’d be a good fit for the program you are applying to. You may want to include reasons why you want to study the specific course, and how your education and work history make you well-suited to the choice.

As part of your application we require a copy of the biographical page of your passport.

You may see terms such as ‘UCAS tariff points’, ‘A levels’ or ‘GCSEs’ in the entry requirements sections of our course pages. These all relate to exams in the UK which are often seen as key criteria when universities are deciding which students to accept.

There is no definitive equivalence between UK and Canadian academic grades, but generally speaking, when looking at applications from Canada, we normally expect students to have obtained a High School Diploma with B averages.

Although academic grades are important, your application will be judged on additional elements, such as your portfolio, which is useful in giving us an impression of you and your work.

If you are unsure whether you meet the requirements for your specific course choice, please get in touch with our Canadian representatives.

Our courses require you to submit a reference along with your application. For postgraduate courses, we require two references.

A reference can be a teacher, guidance counsellor or professional who knows you academically.

If you are a Canadian national and your academic instruction was in English, you won’t need to provide proof of your English language ability.

If your instruction was not in English, or you are from a country where English isn’t your first language you will have to provide evidence that your level of English is sufficient to succeed in your chosen course.

IELTS Academic for UKVI is the only language test that is accepted by both UAL and UK Visas and Immigration.

The exact requirements differ from course to course and can be found on your chosen course page. The table below gives a general indication of the IELTS scores required to study a UAL course:

If you need help to reach the required language level, UAL’s Language Centre offers a range of English courses and a presessional course for students with a conditional or unconditional offer.

Take a look at the Language Centre page on our UK site for more information.

You can register to take an IELTS test on the IELTS Canada website.

As a student from Canada, you will most likely need a Tier 4 (General) student visa to study with us. This is for students aged 16 years or over who are coming to UAL to study a full-time degree or degree-level course, a further education course, a pre-sessional course, a Study Abroad programme or an English language course.

If you need a Tier 4 (General) student visa to study at UAL,  you will be asked to complete a UK Immigration History Form, and submit it with your application.

A portfolio is a collection of your work, which shows how your skills and ideas have developed over a period of time. You will need to supply one when applying for a practice-based course (such as fashion design or photography) so we can evaluate whether you are suitable for the course.

For more information about portfolios, take a look at our UK site.

You will be asked to attend an interview as part of the application process to make sure you are a good fit for the course, and to give you a chance to find out more about us.

Our academics visit Canada regularly to interview prospective students face-to-face. They can offer you a place on a different course if they feel one is more suited to your skills and experience, but they will consult you about this beforehand. The only way to initiate one of these face-to-face interviews in Canada is to apply through our Canadian representatives.

For more information about what to expect from our interviews, take a look at the Interview preparation video on our UK site.  In-person interviews will be held Canada on dates listed in our UAL in Canada section.

If you have any questions about our courses, please get in touch with our Canadian representatives:
For Eastern Canada, contact Jess at jess@ualcanada.ca.
For Western Canada, contact Pennylane at pennylane@ualcanada.ca.